Monday, March 10, 2008

Due Thurs

Does your chosen musical artist (for the CD project) represent the values of your generation? Explain in a couple of well thought out paragraphs.

I don't think that I, single handedly, can remotely estimate the values of my entire generation. I believe my artist, Citizen Cope, represents my values very accurately. Citizen Cope's music inspires a change for the better for the individual in society. When I say 'in society' i mean in reference to the individuals place in society, as explained in one of Citizen Cope's most popular songs, 'Bullet and a Target'. And when I say a change for the better, I mean the chance to overcome society's placement of the individual between the bullet and target. Examples of this in the song specifically are referenced in the absence of woman in religon with "Ms. Dali Llamas", the Seorra Leone crisis, and the most in depth reference to a girl with a homosidal husband, as a result of an abusive past. The optimistic aspect in this song, and a great example of Citizen Cope's values in agreenece with mine, is the ending "cover of a magazine, just wondering how" (girl becoming a model) claiming the young girl's escape from her homosidal husband, overcoming her bullet and target, that was established by her past, and in reference to her husband, almost defined her future. So, overcoming society's bullet and target. This is one example of the values that correspond with mine, and I'd like to think my generation.

No comments: